Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Patagonian Road and other crossings





two more moments from today: a street corner in Haira, and driving down the road from a place called Ye to said Haira.

also, i found a perfect road read, or island read: Patagonian Road, a blog by Kate, who travelled from Guatemala to Patagonia in 2011, making the trip mostly overland by bus. i came across the link through Donnigan Merritt, a citizen of Buenos Aires - who is friends with Rose Hunter, Mexico, to follow the chain to its start.

back to Patagonia now, and lines that bring back my own memories of long bus rides through foreign countries. so now, while i drive down the roads here in Lanzarote, all those places start to cross and entwine while the country slides past: India, South America, Haria..

These days, I walk the streets in a nostalgic haze. Sometimes I am laughing, sometimes I am smiling, sometimes I am crying. Tomorrow I leave this apartment, this massive city, to take a bus through the night until I reach Cordoba, one of Argentina’s cultural gems. Part of me knows that I’ll get on that bus and it will make me feel alive, the wheels on the pavement in the night and the stars all around us as we cross the Pampas. Now, I love the rhythm of buses. I can ride them for hours or even days. I can sleep on them; I can read on them. No one bothers you here if you’re weeping, or eating, or drinking wine alone. They just let you be, stare out their window until the bus rolls into the city you’re trying to reach. The ayudantes help me with my backpack and call me mi amor. The country slides past.

No comments: