Saturday, March 13, 2010

horse & deer


some beautiful 4-legged abroad arrivals in my mailbox these days:

a Botero-postcard from the current exhibition in the museum of Fine Arts, St. Peterburg (Florida, that is). the postcard shows "The President". "The First Lady" is featured on the museum website, and there's an entertaining newspaper article up here: "Let's first address the methaphorical elephant in the room.."

and yesterday, Deer arrived - the debut story collection of Susan Tepper. i first thought i only dip into the first page, and then save it for sunday. but once started, i couldn't put it down. the stories are set in an everyday neigbourhood during the 60ies - reoccuring symbols / themes are deer and the Vietnam war - yet there is an underlying current of timelessness. the neighbours in "String", they could live some streets down from here:

My neighbor without the boyfriend told me I was living dangerously.
It never occured to me that I knew how to.


will try to stick to reading one story a day, to make this book last longer. more about the book, here: Deer & other stories.

Steve + Susan: thanks so much for sending the botero horse and the paperback deer my way.
.

No comments: