Wednesday, April 3, 2013

C is for Crow Woman and Con Text

during April, i am joining the A-Z Blogging Challenge - each day, i will revisit the archive of published works from a new alphabetical angle, and repost an image and a text. more about the plan: A-to-Z Blogging Challenge, April 2013

Today is: C. which took me back to a "Crow Woman" moment from abroad, and to a multilingual poem titled "Con Text".

****



con text

un cafe con leche
she whispered
as she took the step
to the next chapter

un croissant con jambon
she scribbled
on the exercise page
to learn, to erase

knowing all the time
that one french day, she would
have the chance to say
those words

yet would probably stick
to english
even as a german
in paris


 ***

C-Notes

Crow Woman was a title image of the online journal "Melusine, or Woman in the 21st Century" - here's the Melusine issue link with the image included. The photo, I took it in Bratislava, the capital of Slovakia - which i visited as one-day side trip of Vienna. While exploring the city with a friend, we arrived at this fascinating statue. For more about the trip, visit the travelogue with photos: Vienna, Bratislava, Vienna

Following the travel mood, I arrived at Con Text again - a poem written while i was trying to brush up my French again. Con Text was first published in the online magazine Big Pond Rumours, which sadly isn't online anymore.

**

A to Z Links

5 comments:

DL Shackleford said...

I love your poetry! I find most of Europe so beautiful and full of such rich history that is so lacking in the US. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Bratislava is my favorite central European city. I suppose you noticed that some moron put graffiti all over the statue.

Sarah Cass said...

The picture is just beautiful. I enjoyed the poem...what a wonderful combination. :)

Dorothee said...

Thanks for the feedback - glad you enjoy! And Bratislava: it was a daytrip we planned spontaneous, and i am still so glad for it. just about 2 hours in the train from Vienna, and such a fascinating city.

Julie Jordan Scott said...

Ohmigoodness. Reading your words, looking at your photo, contemplating your poem... all of these pieces brought me more deeply into a sense of delight.

I will get to Europe sooner rather than later. I always appreciate the reminder.

Thank you so much for "talking up" my A to Z posts. The Literary Grannies and I are very grateful!

Happy A to Z-ing!
Julie Jordan Scott
Our Literary Grannies from A to Z:F is for Fredrika Bremer
tweet me - @juliejordanscot